Monday, February 9, 2009

Monday Musings

Sometimes I feel like I never stop thinking. I get completely swept up into ideas and passionate thoughts. How I could get by without washing my hair, for example. How I can reduce my carbon footprint. How I could live without a microwave, a dryer, a massive refrigerator, and yes, a blowdryer. How I could stay as far from processed, non-local, industrialized food as possible. How I can't wait to get married in June and start a new, wonderful life. How I can't wait to have children. How I get paralyzed with the fear of not being able to.

Whew!

Lately I have been getting more and more intrigued with the idea of living a 'slow life'. The simplest life possible...because I refuse to believe everything is as complicated as the world makes it out to be. The peak of American happiness was in the 1950's, when each household only had the absolute necessities. Since then we have been bred to consume from birth...why else are so many ads directed at children alone? I want to live a life with Starshine knowing that we have reveled deep inside every moment of it, rather than using it for its surface value. I want our children to grow up with an appreciation of what is around them, rather than taking a fresh cup of milk or plate of food that was grown in their backyard for granted. It should be easy to start living this way considering we will be starting as newlyweds. But I want to do what I can now. I get frustrated that as a college student - ok, in general - that I can't afford to always buy the local 'organic' produce. Forget about me, it's hard enough for me to know that poverty is caused by our overproduction. If I and my wonderful future husband can do what we can towards stopping this, then full speed ahead.

Or rather...slow speed.

0 comments: