Saturday, June 7, 2008

Yoga Yoga Yoga

It was my second day of Yoga training today. I am taking a 5 week intensive RYT 200 certification through a local hot yoga studio and am thoroughly ready to get my mind, soul, and body's arse whooped.

Years ago my mom was seriously ill with Fibromyalgia and various other things. It was so bad that she couldn't even walk normally and had to use a cane. My mom is an amazing woman who loves life, and even though her cane was covered with Goofy and Tigger stickers, it was hard to see her tied down to that piece of wood. She began doing Yoga videos at home, and the transformation in her was incredible! She was touching her head to her knees within weeks as we all watched her grow stronger and more sure of herself. Later on her ailments were all attributed to stress. Imagine that, huh? She went off the meds, off the cane, and is now a Personal Trainer/Yoga Teacher/Registered Dietician in Training. She is my inspiration and my hero.

She began doing Hot Yoga about 3-4 years ago. I went a couple of times, and as I hated breaking a sweat doing anything, I loathed it. But I kept going, and now I can't imagine my life without it! Yoga has opened my eyes to so many things about myself I would often keep hidden or suppress. It has changed me for the better...and it has affected me to the point that I want to help spread my passion to others and teach.

Today author and scholar Dr.Graham Schweig came and spoke to the four of us in the training on 'The Philosophy of Yoga' and the Bhagavad Gita. He is an inspiring speaker, even if not the most modest. Admittedly, it was hard for me to enjoy someone who didn't 'talk the talk, walk the walk'...no matter how good his book is, I don't particularly like it rubbed in my face. We have one more lecture with him, so I hope there will be a little less of that then.

In other news: French Bread Take 2 was a giant flop! It didn't rise to the height it should have, but me being curious, I baked it anyway. It didn't brown at all! Soooo take 3 will be coming shortly. I think I overkneaded it...? Maybe I should start with an easier bread. But I am way too stubborn for that one, folks!!

I'm at an odd place in my life...culture shock? Culture re-adapation? America is a country of convenience. I didn't really miss that in Northern Ireland. However, I do love Cheesy Chips. After a pint of Guinness they are pretty much brilliant. Otherwise though, I miss seeing fields of real-deal green out the window...interstates and fast food restaurants don't fill the bill. Granted, I have the beach...but all of this is not so appealing without someone to share it with, I suppose. My nights are lonely. And I'm complaining. I can't wait to be back out in the world again...spreading my wings over everything I've missed. Maybe I'll pick up French Bread skills along the way.

0 comments: