Friday, June 27, 2008

I am experiencing my first afternoon thunderstorm of the summer. Sitting comfortably on the couch browsing through useless parts of the websphere, I looked up to see the grey rolling in...the trees blowing from side to side just a bit harder...that beautiful fresh smell right before the rain begins comes filtering in. The sky grows darker and I don't even bother to flip the light switch. Instead I flip on beautiful tunes that match the irregular rhythm of the storm building...violins and ooh's merge with the flashes of light, the smashes of thunder. The thunder has always been my favorite. As a child I was never afraid of it. Instead, I would dance to it. It was a beat I was never clumsy to...it inspired me. It was as if the beginnings of time were speaking to me through every low, resonating rumble. Letting the world know it was still there. The wind is blowing harder now in magnificent gusts that sweep the leaves violently, passionately, side to side. Just as suddenly it stops and they are solemn again, gently moving as if afraid to give the world a glimpse into their wild inhibitions. The rain begins to fall now. Gently at first as if to calmly say 'Hello, Old Friends.' to the ground below. Before you know it the world around you has burst into a full orchestra of sound, movement, and light. A reminder to us that our existence is fleeting while it may come and go as it pleases. A beautiful, sweet reminder I think.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So old blog, it's been a while since you and I have crossed paths! I began this blog without knowing why I wanted it. I just knew that I enjoyed reading others so much...I enjoyed the new points of view on life they brought to my own. More than anything I loved reading about them. Being an avid reader since childhood, other lives and stories have enticed me for as long as I can remember. At times because I was dissatisfied with my own life, but mostly because I wanted to know about the world. About it's people, places, and ideas. So I went ok! I can share mine, pish posh, no prob! The problem was that I had no ideas. At least that's what I thought initially. The last thing I wanted was this blog to turn into a whiny, depressed emo kid whom I'd long rid of (except for my desire to break out my Chucks and headbang now and then). I want to talk about my daily adventures...my inspirations...my failures...even the absolute surreal joy I get out of eating Goldfish Crackers mixed with M&M's. The things that make life what it is. Those everyday things that make me ordinary...but maybe to someone else, they will bring the joy that I get from some of my favorite blogs. Who knows? If anything, the writing will bring me joy...:)

Speaking of the surreal joy I get from eating Goldfish Crackers mixed with M&Ms, yes - I just got some. And it is surreal. And joyous. The perfect salty/sweet snack, especially for roadtrips. To this day I get the craving for it while listening to my first trip home from college mix. When your poor and living in a cinder block box with gross cafeteria food, cheap snacks such as these are heaven in a ziplock bag. Trust me on this one. Plain goldfish are a thing of the past, my friends.

So I've been thinking about doing something for quite some time since my friends Kyle and Emily began it. The "No 'Poo Challenge" - No shampoo folks. No conditioner. They did it for 6 weeks, and Kyle as far as I know is still doing it. Shampoo has so many chemicals, some of which are toxic, that are bad for your skin and hair. It strips your hair of its natural oils, making your hair look like the mafia gangsters by the end of the day so you want to wash it again, thus repeating the cycle...while conditioner coats it, just making it appear to be shiny and healthy(like those Pantene Pro-V commercials where they swish their blindingly gleaming hair everywhere). I am SO hardcore with my shower and post-prep hair routine for the day that at first the idea of this would be something my friends would laugh in my face for if they heard I was trying it. That's partly why I want to do it...lately doing things I never do is a recurrent theme. And I like it. I'm also doing it because it's good for me, good for my wallet, and good for the environment. I will only be 'washing' every 3 showers with 1 TBSP of baking soda mixed with 1 cup of warm water, and using 1 TBSP of Apple Cider Vinegar/1 cup of warm water for a rinse to soften and moisturize it. Otherwise, just using warm water minus the 'poo. Anyone who is interested, here are some links I used for research:

http://frenchtoastfrance.blogspot.com/2008/06/shampoo-alternatives.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/337703/what_is_nopoo.html

http://thephoenix.com/Boston/Life/40141-No-Poo-Do/

http://www.naturalfamilyonline.com/go/index.php/389/why-you-should-go-no-poo

http://www.naturemoms.com/no-shampoo-alternative.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-394226/Could-survive-shampoo.html

http://www.motowngirl.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=52&Itemid=45

Now it's time for me to head off to Yoga training...another thing I am loving even though I have sprained my ankle and am very awkward doing well...anything.

0 comments: